I was recently reading a post on the blog of the SL Enquirer.
It was about the latest summer fashion.
They all showed people looking very smart and unhappy.
I wondered why people who looked so pretty did not look happy.
Why did they not smile?
I was not the only one on the internet.
So I browsed around the internet to find some answers. I added some of my own. I tried to make some fashion pictures of my own.
Maybe this post is just a way to show off my pictures.. 😛
It was fun to create these shot, although I am not sure if they captured the right mood.
Here is what I think:
Smiling is a delicate expression that can have good effects when well done, but also bad effects when smiling goes wrong, here is why:
– If your smile is fake or perceived as fake the effect is actually the reverse of what is intended: it repulses.
– Not smiling is sometimes seen as cool and can create a desirable image. This depends on the situation and the people involved.
– Some people have weird smiles or bad teeth. While the latter is somewhat unlikely in high fashion it still is a factor.
– The default facial expression of people is actually not to smile. Look around you. When people are not communicating with others they don’t smile. They don’t look sad either though.
– As an extension of the above: smiling is communicating. It therefore draws attention away, which might not always be welcomed.
– Some models might actually be unhappy, tired, stressed or scared and thus not in a mood to smile. Or not even able to.
– Smiling can give a false image. It might give the idea you are laughing at the situation, audience and outfits you are wearing.
– Smiling can cause wrinkles.. which might make people look older. This can be an unwanted effect.
A smile well done might actually be a great plus, but you need all the right factors to be in place. Since a catwalk, for instance, is generally a very stressful affair, the choice not to smile seems a more logical and safe choice.
These are my two cents.. maybe you can add some of you own.
Here is the post from the sl enquirer : http://www.slenquirer.com/2013/06/summer-time-in-second-life-what-shall-i.html
And another fashion post : http://www.slenquirer.com/2013/07/beach-wear-for-2013-tea-couturier.html
Leave a Reply